Traverse City, Mich. – Aug. 1, 2019 – The first of two weeks of CSI3* competition began during Week V of the 2019 Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF), presented by CaptiveOne Advisors, LLC, with the first half of the week dominated by the Bluman brothers as they accumulated victories in two major classes to make it a family affair. Thursday’s big winners proved to be Ilan Bluman (COL) and Eax Run Run LS, who galloped away with the tricolor in the $35,700 Welcome Stake CSI3* as the fastest double-clear pair ahead of a large 16-horse jump-off. On Wednesday, Mark Bluman (COL) and Jenni’s Chance kicked off FEI competition with a victory in the $1,000 1.40m Jumper CSI3* to best a field of 23 contenders.
At the conclusion of the first round of riding in the $35,700 Welcome Stake CSI3*,16 horse-and-rider partnerships had successfully navigated course designer Manuel Esparza’s (MEX) track to earn a spot in the jump-off. Athletes slated to return over the short course included Ilan, Sydney Shulman (ISR), Peter Leone (USA), Peter Lutz (USA), Santiago Lambre (MEX), Molly Ashe Cawley (USA), Jim Ifko (CAN), Catherine Tyree (USA), Schuyler Riley (USA), Wilhelm Genn (GER), Sloane Coles (USA), Vasco Flores (PUR), Mattias Tromp (USA) and Tanner Jorotkin (USA) with their respective horses. Riley and Bluman posed the greatest threats of winning with two mounts apiece qualified for the tie-breaking round.
Back for the abridged jump-off course, Tyree and Mary Tyree’s Enjoy Louis served as the pathfinders and the first pair to lay down a second fault-free effort, breaking the beam in 43.600 to set the pace ahead of the large returning pack. As the class progressed, eight duos were able to catch Tyree and Enjoy Louis by turning in quicker foot-perfect performances, led by Ilan and Blue Star Investments’ Eax Run Run LS, one of the final entries to ride. The combination improved upon their competitors’ times with a clear trip in 38.640 to jump to the lead, and no subsequent entries were able to catch them, solidifying Ilan and Eax Run Run LS as the $35,700 Welcome Stake CSI3* victors. Shulman piloted Jill Shulman’s Azilis Du Mesnil to second place in a penalty-free 39.290 seconds, and Bosch Sport Horses’ Excellent carried Lutz to third overall in the rankings in a clean time of 40.570 seconds.
With Ilan’s win, he has earned valuable points towards the new $25,000 CaptiveOne Open Jumper Rider Bonus, but Genn still retains the top spot following a series of victories at the onset of the festival. Awarded at the conclusion of the circuit in August, the $25,000 CaptiveOne Open Jumper Rider Bonus standing are calculated based on prize money earned throughout the six-week festival in Open Jumper classes 1.45m and above. Fans and athletes can follow along and check the $25,000 CaptiveOne Open Jumper Rider Bonus leaderboard, posted on www.greatlakesequestrianfestival.com, to track their favorite riders and see who is leading in the standings.
Earlier in the week, FEI competition commenced with the $1,000 1.40m Jumper CSI3* class, which attracted 24 entries to the Grand Prix Ring on Wednesday afternoon. Operating as a one-round speed class, entries only had one chance over Esparza’s track to battle for the top spot. One of the final contenders to ride and another Bluman impressing at GLEF, Mark tried his luck aboard Jenni’s Chance, owned by Melissa Wight, to usurp Peter Lutz (USA) and Swede Ventures LLC’s Quinta 106, the then-leaders. Tripping the timers fault-free in 64.510 seconds, Bluman and Jenni’s Chance blew away the clear time previously set forth by Lutz and Quinta 106 of 68.280 seconds to emerge victorious. Lutz retained second position overall, and Alison Robitaille (USA) with Bertram Firestone’s Ginger Pop finished in third place in 68.320 seconds with no faults.
Week V show jumping competition will continue at GLEF for three more days, with the $35,700 Grand Traverse Classic CSI3* taking place Friday afternoon, August 2 and the feature event of the week, the $133,700 Staller Grand Traverse Grand Prix CSI3*, beginning at 2 p.m. on Sunday, August 4.
FROM THE WINNER’S CIRCLE
Ilan Bluman – $35,700 Welcome Stake CSI3* winner
On Eax Run Run LS:
“This horse I got almost three and a half years ago. I have been working really hard with him, and this is the first time we went that fast. He is learning. He is not that young, but he is still learning. I’ve been working really hard to be able to do what I did today.”
On his jump-off strategy:
“I was clear with both of my horses. The first one [J-Boston S.E] I started on the right lead, and I think that wasn’t a good idea. My brother Mark [Bluman], he told me to start on the left lead with my second one. I think my strategy was just to try to go really fast and to leave strides out, and it worked out.”
“I love this show. This is the third year I’ve come here and every year it is better. I think I’m going to come next year, and the next year and the year after that. The footing and the weather are amazing, and I love it.”
$35,700 Welcome Stake CSI3*:
Place / Horse / Rider / Country / Owner / R1 Faults / R2 Faults / Time
1. Eax Run Run LS / Ilan Bluman / COL / Blue Star Investments / 0 / 0 / 38.640
2. Azilis Du Mesnil / Sydney Shulman / ISR / Jill Shulman / 0 / 0 / 39.290
3. Excellent / Peter Lutz / USA / Bosch Sport Horses / 0 / 0 / 40.570
4. Doloris / Santiago Lambre / MEX / Santiago Lambre / 0 / 0 / 40.680
5. Cassandra / Molly Ashe Cawley / USA / Louisburg Farm / 0 / 0 / 40.750
6. J-Boston S.E / Ilan Bluman / COL / Elle Haymond / 0 / 0 / 40.790
7. Eyecatcher / Mattias Tromp / USA / Beyaert Farm Inc / 0 / 0 / 40.980
8. Dubai / Vasco Flores / PUR / SHL Farm / 0 / 0 / 42.450
9. Enjoy Louis / Catherine Tyree / USA / Mary Tyree / 0 / 0 / 43.600
10. Un Diamont Des Forets / Jim Ifko / CAN / Eventyre Farms Ltd / 0 / 4 / 37.640
11. Chippendale’s Boy Dz / Sloane Coles / USA / The Springledge Group / 0 / 4 / 40.220
12. Capito Z / Peter Leone / USA / Capito Group LLC / 0 / 4 / 41.220
$1,000 1.40m Jumper CSI3*:
Place / Horse / Rider / Country / Owner / Faults / Time
1. Jenni’s Chance / Mark Bluman / COL / Melissa Wight / 0 / 64.510
2. Quinta 106 / Peter Lutz / USA / Swede Ventures LLC / 0 / 68.280
3. Ginger Pop / Alison Robitaille / USA / Bertram Firestone / 0 / 68.320
4. Excellent / Peter Lutz / USA / Bosch Sport Horses / 0 / 68.440
5. Ace / Alison Robitaille / USA / Bertram Firestone / 1 / 73.870
6. Flairvona / Alison Robitaille / USA / The 500 Hats LLC / 2 / 76.690
7. Adamo / Molly Ashe Cawley / USA / Louisburg Farm / 2 / 78.550
8. Coolmann 7 / Ashley Baker / USA / Grand Slam Farm / 3 / 80.540
9. Dreamer Des Bergeries / Samantha Wight / USA / Melissa Wight / 3 / 82.890
10. Cartouche / Mark Bluman / COL / Over The Top Stables LLC / 3 / 83.580
11. J-Boston S.E / Ilan Bluman / COL / Elle Haymond / 0 / 4 / 85.470
12. Fantast / Adrienne Sternlicht / USA / Starlight Farms 1 LLC / 5 / 75.530
For more information, please visit greatlakesequestrianfestival.com