Lexington, Ky. – Jan. 4, 2022 – The National Horse Show announces important changes to the 2022 and 2023 ASPCA Maclay National Championship qualification process, including changes to the Regional Championships hosted across the country each year. The National Horse Show hopes that these changes to the ASPCA Maclay National Championships will provide a positive experience for junior riders and their horses.
2022 ASPCA Maclay Regional Championships Changes:
- The 2022 ASPCA Maclay Regionals will be MANDATORY. Riders must compete and qualify from a Regional competition in order to move on to Maclay Finals.
- A total of 225 riders will be invited to the 2022 Maclay Finals.
- Any Junior riders in the top TEN (10) from the USEF Talent Search Finals East and West will be invited to compete in the 2022 Finals.
- The top TWELVE (12) riders from the USEF Medal Finals will be invited to compete in the 2022 Finals.
- Riders that qualify for Regionals may show in ANY Regional competition of their choice. Riders only need to meet the qualifying point requirements of their HOME STATE. If riders elect to compete in a Regional competition other than their home region, they must DECLARE their Regional competition of choice with the National Horse Show by August 15th each year.
- Regions THREE and FIVE have been split, creating two NEW Regions, Regions Nine and Ten. To view the full Regional map, click HERE.
- There will be THREE ADDITIONAL Regional competitions. One in Virginia for Region Three, one in Texas for Region Nine, and one in Michigan for Region Four.
2023 ASPCA Maclay Regional Championships Changes:
- Regional competitions for the 2023 ASPCA Maclay National Championship will be OPTIONAL. Each Regional competition will likely be held in the same locations/Region as the 2022 Regionals.
- The qualifying points will be INCREASED in 2023. Once a rider has met the required points of their home state, the rider will automatically be qualified for the 2023 ASPCA Maclay Finals.
- Competition for the 2023 ASPCA Maclay Finals will begin SATURDAY in the Alltech Arena. This day will host a PRELIMINARY ROUND where A MINIMUM OF 125 RIDERS WILL BE SELECTED TO MOVE ON TO SUNDAY’S COMPETITION.
- The 125 riders that move on to Sunday’s competition will have a clean slate before competing in the First Round, Flat Phase, Second Round and Optional Testing.
- For those that elect to participate in the ASPCA Maclay Regional competitions:
- Riders that qualify for the 2023 Hamel Foundation NHS 3’3” Equitation Championship will automatically be qualified to compete in the 2023 ASPCA Maclay Regional competitions.
- Regional competitions will be open to ANY rider with points from showing in the ASPCA Maclay throughout the 2023 show year.
- Riders that are qualified for the Maclay Finals and still elect to compete in a Regional competition may earn an automatic invitation to compete in Sunday’s Championship by placing in the top percentage of any Regional competition.
- Riders that are not qualified to compete in the Maclay Finals but elect to compete in a Regional competition may earn an automatic invitation to compete in Saturday’s Preliminary Round by placing in the top percentage of any Regional competition.
Questions regarding the 2022 and 2023 ASPCA Maclay Regional Championships and National Championship may be directed to Cindy Bozan at firstname.lastname@example.org.